We all know what happens on New Years, so here are some tips to help you prepare for the morning after.
The reason why one gets a hangover is that your body - your liver in particular - is not able to process and metabolize the break down products from the alcohol quickly enough. In addition to needing enough enzymes, the liver also needs water to process and get rid of the toxins. When supplies run low, it takes water from other organs, including the brain. This is why alcohol is so dehydrating, and why you can wake up with a throbbing headache (and a dry mouth) from drinking too much."
"It is thus essential to drink a lot of water while drinking and before you go to bed... it can prevent a hangover or at least lessen one." according to Dr.Frank Lipman
Tips for the day of the big party:
2. Drink 4-6 extra glasses of water to be sure you are well-hydrated.
3. Take Vitamin B complex.
Tips for the day after the big party:
1. Avoid getting over-heated which will cause further dehydration. Avoid heavy exercise as well as too much sun exposure.
2. Drink plenty of cool fluids including electrolytes if possible to rehydrate and cool the body down (ex. Gatorade, coconut water).
3. Regular ginger ale can help because people often have low blood sugar with a hangover and ginger also helps with nausea. Low blood sugar is what sometimes causes the shakes.
4. Alka-Seltzer can help settle the stomach while also providing aspirin for pain relief.
5. Go to bed early so that your body can replenish the hormones produced during sleep that you probably missed out on the night before.
B Vitamins that can help you recover from or even avoid hangovers.
Drinking depletes the body of essential vitamins and nutrients. When your system is overtaxed with too much alcohol, it can leave you feeling extremely run down. The high potency B- can help restore energy levels after a night of alcohol indulgence. The body utilizes B vitamins when under stress. Replenishing with a potent B Complex can help you shorten the duration of your hangover and significantly reduce symptoms. :)
1. Don't mix your drinks: Try to stick to wine or champagne as these will tend to make you feel less bloated and tired the next day.
2. On the rocks: If you are going to have something harder, fill your glass with ice first as this will dilute the alcohol content of your drink. Mixers and fruit juices are also a good way to boost the body's sugar levels, which get depleted with alcohol.
3. Rebalance your system: Take Vitamin B complex and an 1,000 mg Vitamin C tablet with a big glass of water before going to bed. If you can try to have a little snack before heading off to bed - Bananas are a good source of sugar and potassium; they are also a natural antacid as they are high in magnesium, which can help relax those pounding blood vessels causing that nasty headache. Try a pure almond butter, and banana sandwich on toasted 100% sprouted bread.
1 oz. vodka
2 oz. Clamato Juice
1 dash lemon juice
2 dashes salt - 2 dashes black pepper
2 dashes cayenne pepper
3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Stir all ingredients together in a tall glass
Happy New Year - May 2012 be your best year yet!